Xingyiquan: rou shou and tui shou?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Xingyiquan: rou shou and tui shou?

Post  Admin on Sat May 05, 2012 7:47 am

I saw on another forum where guys asked who else uses tui shou and rou shou in their xingyiquan/Hsingyiquan practice and a few said they do. I have never heard of these in this art. I was always taught that "An shen pao" is the two person drills for this art and that Tui shou is for Taijiquan and Rou shou is Baguazhang. I have played with baguazhang push hands, but it is basically moving step push hands as seen in Taijiquan.

Two person Hsingyi I had learned back in 1994 is similar to this:

in regards to the baguazhang rou shou/san shou:

some of the two person bagua rou shou I learned looks more-like this:

this look more like tui shou to me but is called bagua san shou:

Ken Fish mentioned:
What I saw was in the vein of what Marcus is demonstrating. Master Zhang and Master Liao showed me a far more structured practice to begin with, with a great deal of intent behind it, and not particularly "soft" as per the video of Marcus. It evolved into a very rapid moving practice, with a lot of spring and intent behind it - very athletic, developed speed, sensitivity, and a kind of hard, springy power - much more like the way I have seen XIngyi practiced in Tianjin and Shandong.

Xu Hongji was a close friend of my classmate under Master Zhang by name of Li Congxiong. I asked about some of the differences - I directed questions both to Master Zhang and (separately) Li. They both gave me the same answer - what Hong was doing was his "own thing". Li told me that Xu had also gone in his own direction with his practice.

Which brings us back to the original question - most of the replies relate to the term as used in Bagua. Anyone here ever heard he term from a strictly Xingyi background? My teacher used the term "ta shou"
(塌 but with a hand radical in place of the earth radical), and said it was Xingyi's equivalent of Tuishou.

Admin
Admin

http://imacombat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Xingyiquan: rou shou and tui shou?

Post  Admin on Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 am

here are some Xingyi two person drill i learned back in 1992. my coach at the time was big on some of these drills and was a student of Liang shou yu and Sam masich who he brought to virginia for seminars a few times. when having a partner --these are very valuable. i have been transferring some of the old vhs tapes to digital.

enjoy!

Matt

Admin
Admin

http://imacombat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Patterson on Tue May 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Admin wrote:here are some Xingyi two person drill i learned back in 1992. my coach at the time was big on some of these drills and was a student of Liang shou yu and Sam masich who he brought to virginia for seminars a few times. when having a partner --these are very valuable. i have been transferring some of the old vhs tapes to digital.

enjoy!

Matt

Interesting, Matt. I had never seen the versions of San Shou Pao or 2 Person Five Fists from that lineage. Quite different from what we do in many ways, most notably the range of practice for we remain much more proximal in all aspects than what is shown there. The biggest difference however is the moving frame of the second San Shou Pao exercise. We use Crossing into Drilling rather than Drilling into Crushing/Penetrating fists and we have a completely reversed footwork there. Thanks for posting.

Mike Patterson

http://www.hsing-i.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top