Fighters Combat forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So many Conditioning theories- which is best for martial arts?

+3
natsuchato
Dale Dugas
Matt_Stampe
7 posters

Go down

So many Conditioning theories- which is best for martial arts? Empty So many Conditioning theories- which is best for martial arts?

Post  Matt_Stampe Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:11 pm

There is kettle bell training, Olympic power lifting, Crossfit, Barbell training, traditional strength training...which is supposed to be the best for training a fighter?

hight intensity intervals? circuits?
Matt_Stampe
Matt_Stampe
Admin

Back to top Go down

So many Conditioning theories- which is best for martial arts? Empty Re: So many Conditioning theories- which is best for martial arts?

Post  Dale Dugas Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:27 am

One should mix it up.

I train with Kettlebells as well as resistance bands, shotputs, trap bar, dumb bells, bodyweight, tension sets.

I change it up and it keeps me from getting bored or from being burnt out no things.
Dale Dugas
Dale Dugas

http://www.daledugas.com

Back to top Go down

So many Conditioning theories- which is best for martial arts? Empty Re: So many Conditioning theories- which is best for martial arts?

Post  natsuchato Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 pm

I agree with Dale. Anything that keeps things interesting and fun is gonna be good trainin. But the closer you get to the fight, the closer to the real situation you have to get. All the kettlebells and weights etc will help, but there's nothin better than gettin in the ring/octagon/cage and usin the muscles the way they are gonna be used in a fight.

natsuchato

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Poyton Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:50 am

I agree too - keep it functional for what your intended training purpose is. Personally I like of mix of strength / cardio / flex / ROM and prefer to keep things simple and basic. Also important that your training doesn't compromise your health

Rob Poyton

http://www.systemauk.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian L. Kennedy Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Over the past year or so I have been using the Starting Strength program as laid out by Coach Mark Rippetoe. The best of his books to start with is "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training". In terms of buying weight lifting gear I always buy from Iron Mind; I think their stuff is great (but not cheap!). There is also a "Starting Strength Wiki" that is a good free internet resource devoted to Coach Rippetoe's approach. I have really noticed a major improvement in my judo/Brazilian jiujitsu as a result of that program.

take care,
Brian

Brian L. Kennedy

Back to top Go down

So many Conditioning theories- which is best for martial arts? Empty Barbell training

Post  Admin Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:50 pm

I agree with Brian. I was also told by a former Lei Tai fighter Tyson dewees about how Crossfit is dangerous and lifts need to be slow and exact. he told me about the "Starting Strength" Book. I blogged about it about a year ago. I def have improved and it shows when having to pick people up in San shou sparring.

http://polariswushu.net/blog/2011/02/14/starting-strength-training-2011/

Admin
Admin

https://imacombat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Sacramento Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Personally I believe in using weights for general strength and using ones MA for functional strength training.
I like the weight training that hits the compounds and tends to "mimic" everyday moves:
Bench press, squats, overhead presses, deadlifts, pull ups, dips, push ups, curls, those types of things.
I like to have one workout for higher reps with more body weight exercises ( weight added with a weight belt) - Dips, Pullups, handstand presses, push ups, one handed push ups, one legged squats.
And one workout with the low to mid rep range with the big core lifts - Bench, DL, Squat, OverheadPress, etc...
Build a solid core of strength and then that strength will be there for you in your MA.

Paul Sacramento

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum