Go ahead and Introduce yourself

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello

Post  jbouse64 on Fri May 04, 2012 10:13 am

Justin Bouse

Past Training Choy Lee Fut, Taiji (Chen, Yang, Sun), Xingyi, Bagua (Gao and Cheng).
Current Training Magui lineage Baguazhang with Li Baohua Laoshi.

Hello to everyone.

jbouse64

Back to top Go down

Re: Go ahead and Introduce yourself

Post  Darin Hamel on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:59 pm

4 years Tang Soo Do, 1 year Judo and 26 years Taijiquan and a bunch of other martial arts that I tried and didn't like as much as Taiji. I use the Judo class to test my Taiji skill, btw. I don't believe there is any other way to test skill except to use it. These days I will admit I am a little scared of getting hurt. I am 45 and don't heal as fast as I used to.

Darin Hamel

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkatz5 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:28 pm

1. What style of martial arts do you do? Taijiquan. I study with Julian Chu, who teaches at Lee Ming Chinese Academy at Julius West Middle School (Rockville, Maryland), and at the T'ai Chi circle at Cabin John Park, Potomac, Maryland.

2. How many fights have you done? I do push hands as part of the weekly taijiquan practices.

3. how many years involved? Since 1994

As a criminal defense lawyer, taijiquan helps me find and maintain calm in the eye of the storm. http://katzjustice.com/underdog/permalink/Maintaining-calm-in-the-eye-of-the-storm..html . Here is more on the benefits I derive from taijiquan: http://katzjustice.com/underdog/permalink/FairfaxCriminalLawyerPracticingMartialArts,.html .

jonkatz5

Back to top Go down

Hello

Post  ANGELSGYMSINGH on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:53 pm

Glad to finally get here. I am G. Singh the author of the Art Western Tai Chi Ch'uan (WTCC) which is a internal pugilistic method applied to a Strikers approach to MMA and CQC. The system was introduced to the public at Angel's Gym, Fayetteville NC., and is now practiced in the Greater Des Moines Iowa branch of the YMCA: Fitness Tai Chi Boxing:

In my youth I was a competitive Boxer, Wrestler and Kickboxer while serving in the US Army Rangers. After retirement from the service I had the honor of training USAABA, IKF, NAGA and Gameness, EFC, CFP and other MMA Promotions Champions Pro/Am using the WTCC method. You can see videos of thse methods at the youtube website posted. I iam currently very deeply studying PRANAYAMA and WING CHUN integration To strengthen myself and better teach my studentS.

It is an honor to be here..... G

Last edited by ANGELSGYMSINGH on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistype)

ANGELSGYMSINGH

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 am

welcome Angel and glad to have you here. We know you as a fighter trainer and fellow pugilist!

Admin
Admin

http://imacombat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BertVa on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Hello I'm Bert Limbrick
Tradtional Yang Style Tai Chi, a little bit of Bagua Cheng style
Too old to for full contact, does Push Hands count?

BertVa

Back to top Go down

Welcome bert

Post  Matt_Stampe on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:56 am

Welcome to the forum Bert.

@everyone: Bert is a classmate at "USWA" is Virginia. Bert competes as a super heavyweight in push hands.

At the school we train in Yang long form based on details Coach Pei has recieved from his main teacher Yang Zhen Jie. This teacher is the older brother of more well know Yang Zhen Dou, whom coach pei translated many of his U.S. tours along with Yang Zhen Jie.

Coach Pei has taught some amazing techniques, structural reasoning (why a posture work and doesnt), and fighting skills that very different that the Cheng Man Ching dominated Taiji world. The push hands training, hand striking drills, and two peron apllication work is not comparable to many schools, i have trained at and visited.

Coach Pei teaches the san shou/sparring classes as well. Coaches early training was in Tien Shan Pai brought here to USA by Willy Lin, Tony Lin, CC Liu and later Huang Chien-Liang. I understand these teachers teach Yang Taijiquan based on Hsiang Yang-He methods from Yang Chien Hou, 2nd generation Yang family.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hermann Bohn on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:51 am

Matt_Stampe wrote:.....
Coach Pei has taught some amazing techniques, structural reasoning (why a posture work and doesnt), and fighting skills that very different that the Cheng Man Ching dominated Taiji world. The push hands training, hand striking drills, and two peron apllication work is not comparable to many schools, i have trained at and visited.

Well, I don't know about the teachers mentioned, but I have seen the oldest students of Yang Zhenduo been utterly destroyed by Taiwanese ZMQ people in southern TW some years ago. He himself wouldn't toach hands with anyone, and he and his folks were not much respected with the Taiwan phs and ZMQ people.

I train now in the Xiong Yanghe (Yang Jianhou) system, with his youngest and most beloved indoor, but I still wonder how this group would do in modern phs competitions.

Hermann Bohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt_Stampe on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Hermann wrote:"Well, I don't know about the teachers mentioned, but I have seen the oldest students of Yang Zhenduo been utterly destroyed by Taiwanese ZMQ people in southern TW some years ago. He himself wouldn't toach hands with anyone, and he and his folks were not much respected with the Taiwan phs and ZMQ people.

I train now in the Xiong Yanghe (Yang Jianhou) system, with his youngest and most beloved indoor, but I still wonder how this group would do in modern phs competitions."

Thanks for reporting this information. In mainland China in the Yang Taiji Circles Yang Zhen Dou is not highly seen as someone passing on great kung fu skills. I think it is a matter of politics that he is where he is. please read this article on Yang Zhen Jie, he would not denounce his older brother Yang Shou Zhong, thus younger brother Yang zhen Dou became head of Yang Family in Communist China. A teacher from Hangzhou, Hangzhou has a very strong push hands team, relayed that Yang Zhen Dou is often considered something in Taiji circles in Mainland China that translates to that was not friendly, "a big dummy" is what I was told. Other unrecognized and excluded practitioners to Yang family, and are thus considered "Yang style". Politics for the struggle of the real and authentic Yang Taijiquan, who studied with who, and who got what, in terms of training methods, combat secrets, and real skill.

I do think the Yang family is weaker by this and thus they do not excel at push hands competitions as you said. If you look at the Yang Family Tai chi centers around the world they are run by an older generation of people who care to test, can afford to test, and get "certified" and ranked. The curriculum is small with the Long Form, Saber, Straight sword and push hands drills. Have you ever heard of a Yang Family fight team? I haven't. I am sure if building a Lei Tai in front of someones school and challenging them were legal in today's society, Yang Family would have nobody to fight for them.
Those days of the heroic actions of the early generations of Yang Family might be now long gone and forgotten, the integrity of taijiquan as a legitimate asian fighting art is often a question in my head.

http://polariswushu.net/blog/2012/10/04/the-taijiquan-of-yang-family-yang-zhen-jie/

The Cheng Man Ching people (ZMQ/CMC) do have good push hands and a lot of competitors. I dont doubt they beat them easily. I do have some grips with them since I started from there. there are some good and bad to this school.
http://polariswushu.net/blog/2012/12/05/10-good-and-10-bad-about-cheng-man-ching-tai-chi-chuan/

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MiikaW on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Hello everybody. Found your forum awhile ago, now i decided to write something finally. I'm from Finland, 29 years old, training currently with master Lü Baochun. My interest for now in martial arts is effective combat methods. Learning and taking in influences from wherever there is good skill and experience, trying to make sense of it and making it work for me. Really enjoy reading the excellent posts by David Ross and Mike Patterson here.

1. What style of martial arts do you do?
Main style is Bajiquan. A little bit of Xingyi and Taiji also. Some background in MMA, BJJ and thai boxing. But mainly CMA.

2. How many fights have you done?
Teenage years: 1 semi-contact fight, 2 tournament style full contact competitions.
More recent years: 1 sanda fight, 2 full-contact lei tai style fights between CMA schools.
Looking to do more competition fights when there is a chance.

3. how many years involved?
12 years, of which 10 years with master Lü.
MiikaW

Back to top Go down

Hi, Theo Here

Post  Theo_Marcus on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:30 am

I have been learning Tai Chi now for almost a decade but never took it as seriously as I am going to this year, but even with the little I know it has given me such a competitive edge in dance and teaching.

I am student of Sifu Jim Liang of Ji Hong Tai Chi College, and I guess the grand child student of Master Ji Hong Luo (amazing, amazing technical instructor of "mysterious" tai chi principles). I am hoping to get him to participate in this forum if possible.

I only want to learn Tai Chi (not that there is nothing else to learn or there is no value in cross training) because I am very busy and it is hard enough to do just one thing well, let alone many things. I am interested in learning practical self-defense using Tai Chi (not sport sparring) but in a controlled environment as i can't really afford to break anything due to my dancing job. However, I would like to train for realistic settings as much as I can with a great deal of prevention of injury as much as possible. It will never be the real thing, but it is better than nothing, I suppose, and it's not like you can really practice breaking somoeone's bone and neither would I really want to given the choice, of course.

Lots of people here with experience...wow! I feel like I just landed in Treasure Island!

Thank you!

Theo_Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top