Xingyi: A Means to an End book review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Xingyi: A Means to an End book review.

Post  Admin on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:55 pm

There was def some gems of knowledge and insight in his books that I will share a bit later when I am home from the office. It is def a must for your IMA library.

2 parts I really like that he discussed were training from Yin to Yang and he advises not to train in precision movement after hard style training.

what he means by this is you can start soft and work toward hard- this is great for us office types already exhausted from mental work. starting more meditative/qigong, into forms, then the hard stuff like fighting and heavy bag.

In regards to study of precision movement, he suggest doing it while relaxed and not tense, he advises to do something like weight training and or bag and percussion work (hitting bag or mitts) after your precision form and structure work before you get muscles tense from the harder work.

He also shares a lot of his training progression for fighters like various drills, reflex training, and structure training he used when he trained his full contact fighters.

http://www.amazon.com/Xingyi-Means-To-An-End/dp/0985855703

Admin
Admin

http://imacombat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Xingyi: A Means to an End book review.

Post  Matt_Stampe on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:55 am

more on the book:

Some notes from the book. Sifu Patterson, does discuss throughout his book, his lack interest in gathering historical accuracy, and disinterest in qigong mysticism. he is all about more into the practical usage of the martial art.

Books starts with some history and stories of his teacher and training in Taiwan. goes into the 5 elements and 12 animal forms using the classic poetry and his take on the forms. He warns against being a forms person and the importance of paired training to understand the art. compares it to being a surgeon who has the best training and education but never does surgery.

He talks about the importance of paired drilling needs to be alive and not "dead", with focused intention, power and speed.
He shares "body bang" drills or hit conditioning drills.
I really liked his skill based drills- skill sets on concepts, targeting, structure and force. sticking drills, stepping drills, angle drills.

I liked how he talked about slow speed sparring as a start into more realistic sparring. he def warns about sparring in your own school can get too comfortable and that sparring is not real fighting and real competition fighting is not the same as a street altercation. So he keeps it real like that. He book does address reality based fighting.

He shares 9 palace station training ideas. 9 essence and 7 star information and much much more like Qigong and meditation importance.

A major portion of the book is on fighter training using his system called RSPCT based on training fighters.
This covers reflexive training, structural training, perception training, and temperament training.

The bagua book is just as good and very deep into the qigong aspects. more later.

Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top