Newbie & Request For Info

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie & Request For Info

Post  Theo_Marcus on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:14 am

Hi, guys(gals),

I am relatively new to the forum, but eventually interested in pursuing the martial applications of IMA. I am a Tai Chi Chuan student (Chen), and even with its most basic internal theories it has already given me such an advantage in my dancing career and look forward to what else it will bring. My first inquiry, however, is about where to find a good school for a friend of mine who lives in the San Francisco bay or surround area. I am a student of Ji Hong Tai Chi College and would like to find a school that offers:

• Strong Fundamentals explained and taught well (not just follow me and you'll get better in time type of explanation)
    Non-Cultish but friendly environment
    Teachers internal Tai Chi principles (five bow theory, spinal pumping, rotations, opening, closing, relaxation, push hands, and eventually sparring)
    Has produced top students at least in push hands competition, if not, san shou events.

Thank you in advance for the input.

Marcus

[list][*]

Theo_Marcus

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie & Request For Info

Post  Matt_Stampe on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Theo_Marcus wrote:Hi, guys(gals),

I am relatively new to the forum, but eventually interested in pursuing the martial applications of IMA. I am a Tai Chi Chuan student (Chen), and even with its most basic internal theories it has already given me such an advantage in my dancing career and look forward to what else it will bring. My first inquiry, however, is about where to find a good school for a friend of mine who lives in the San Francisco bay or surround area. I am a student of Ji Hong Tai Chi College and would like to find a school that offers:

• Strong Fundamentals explained and taught well (not just follow me and you'll get better in time type of explanation)
    Non-Cultish but friendly environment
    Teachers internal Tai Chi principles (five bow theory, spinal pumping, rotations, opening, closing, relaxation, push hands, and eventually sparring)
    Has produced top students at least in push hands competition, if not, san shou events.

Thank you in advance for the input.

Marcus

[list][*]

Hello Marcus and welcome to the forum. it is quiet in here lately. It considered more of an experimental forum based on real fighters and fighting and using real names and not handles. To prevent the jokers and trollers out.
In San Francisco I can think of a few teachers off the Bat:

Gordon Feng
Ben Lo
EBM Kung fu
Peter Ralston

You should be able to use google on those names to find those people. You mentioned something about Dance on your intro. When I was in college and needed PE credits, I took Tai Chi I and II which was held in the Dance department. I got to meet many of the dance students. I was a Art major myself (Sculpture and Painting). Our teacher was from San Francisco, her name was Cas Overton and her teacher was Chungliang Al Huang who was also a Philosopher and has some kind of Performance and Dance connection. She was not my root teacher however, I only took the classes for the college credits and felt she was not teaching Tai chi in a way students would be able to remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungliang_Al_Huang

Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top